Anxiety Affected

Dealing with anxiety is something I've struggled with for years now and after many failed attempts to figure out what was going on with me and trips to the therapist i was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic disorder which was very hard to understand and cope with especially at first. Although I can deal with this so much better now, I've decided to create a blog where I can offer my help, support and guidance to those who may need it.
Here you'll find the methods and ways I've personally come to find help me prevent an attack from happening or from an attack getting immensely worse.


Self Help Support Plan:

  • Distract your mind! Look around and be aware of your surroundings and environment. Search for 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing you can taste. For example: I can see a candle, a laptop, a journal, a window, and a dog. I can touch the surface of a desk, the fabric of my clothing, a piece of paper, and my skin. I can hear music, my breathing and birds chirping outside. I can smell the food on my dinner plate and my perfume. And I can taste a piece of cucumber. As taste can be difficult you can always go to the kitchen to find something you can taste or if you are in an area without food or a kitchen nearby you can for example simply taste things like the salt on your skin or the general taste of your lips.
  • Grab an ice cube and place it in the palms of your hands switching from your left to right hand.
  • Lay down, close your eyes and start to count while touching your thumbs to your finger tips one finger after the other continuously.
  • Try visualizing good and happy memories you've experienced in life such as positive moments with your friends, family and loved ones.
  • Positive thinking is really key! I know this is a lot easier said then done especially with irrational thoughts racing through your mind but the way you think affects an attack greatly. Your mind doesn't just affect you emotionally, it affects you physically as well. For example remind yourself of these things: This can not harm you. You are not in danger. You are not going to die. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. You're not having a heart attack. This will pass. I am in no danger and i am okay.

Music & playlist links that can help with anxiety:
https://open.spotify.com/user/missjoaninha/playlist/7oYLzLlxVae05sAHXcIEFA?si=i5h6ui6GREWILXUAIZUovQ 
https://soundcloud.com/relaxdaily/relaxing-music-calm-studying-yoga

https://open.spotify.com/user/drivelikeido52/playlist/15MnUUuD6aXzw9msgkVM6A?si=PlyjigfkT3O4YbR3gHfAPg

https://open.spotify.com/user/angeldv2001/playlist/3Tzt1g0v29mMoxZ9ev8cab?si=mE2Rjk6nStKsMsOPm8tLeA

Breathe. Simple breathing exercises can help dramatically.
http://acraftylittlewitch.tumblr.com/post/143495678250/stop-scrolling-for-a-moment-and-breath-in-and-out

Smiling Mind This is an app my therapist recommended to me.
https://www.smilingmind.com.au/smiling-mind-app 

This app is free and is a great way to relax and ease the mind with audio meditation! Amazing for when you're feeling anxious, stressed, uneasy and even a way to help your mind relax or focus before sleep and studying.

Supportive Webs/Orgs: 
To Write Love On Her Arms - https://twloha.com/
BeyondBlue - https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety

Tumblr Url-  http://loveisrespect.tumblr.com/
Tumblr Url- http://youmatterlifeline.tumblr.com/
Tumblr Masterlist Post - http://withheavyeyes.tumblr.com/post/175872536337/when-youre-depressedsadanxious-masterpost


Recognizing Symptoms 

Always try to remember that the physical sensations you are experiencing are all simply symptoms of the anxiety/panic attack which happens when your body triggers the flight or fight mode. Accepting your anxiety and recognizing the triggers (if known) and the symptoms you are experiencing gives you the power to control it. Knowing and realizing when you're experiencing an anxiety/panic attack can massively help reduce the severity of the attack.

My personal & commonly known symptoms/sensations:
  • Anxious/panicky feeling
  • Rapid/irregular/fluttery heart beat
  • Shaking/trembling 
  • Cold sweats/chills
  • Visually - Tunnel vision, dream-like-state, lack of concentration/focus
  • Derealization/Depersonalization
  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Dizzy/Dazed, Confused, not thinking straight
  • Racing mind, irrational thoughts -"I'm going to die", "something is wrong with me", "i'm going crazy", "I am having a heart attack", ect.
  • Chest pain
  • feeling faint
  • feeling lost 
  • feeling like you're not in control
  • difficultly breathing/ not breathing properly
If you've taken the time to read this, thank you so much i really appreciate it. It took a lot of guts and thought to write this and get this out there but if this helps even one person thats all that matters. If you suffer with this or similar things please know you're not alone and know that..
it will pass.
Your's truly, 
Tahlia x

Comments

  1. Thank you for this your story is one of many that will help others who suffer through familiar or similar circumstances it's incredibly brave to use your own battles to inspire and help others i applaud you for your courage

    And to all that suffer from these know that you're not alone ,you'll be okay , people are here for you, please don't isolate yourself please tell someone let them know what you are going through let us help you ~ Brenton Holliday

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts